Flo’s V8 Cafe Veggie Tater Casserole Recipe from Disneyland
Here’s a vegetarian spin on the usual shepherd’s pie. This casserole uses bulgur wheat in place of meat for hearty flavor. Watch the video below for instructions.
Veggie Tater Casserole
3/4 cup bulgur wheat
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup diced onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 2 small cloves)
2/3 cup diced zucchini
2/3 cup diced yellow squash
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
2 1/2 cups vegetarian sausage crumbles, such as Morningstar Farms
Coarse salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
4 cups prepared mashed potatoes
6 deli-style slices cheddar or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar
- Place bulgur in a large, heatproof bowl; cover with boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes; drain excess water and set bulgur aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large sauté pan; add onions and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high and add zucchini, squash, and peppers. Cook, stirring often, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in sausage crumbles and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- Add bulgur to pan, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 baking dish, packing firmly with a spatula.
- Spread mashed potatoes over mixture, then top with cheddar.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and light brown at the edges. Let cool 3 to 4 minutes, then cut into squares and serve hot.
Disney Recipe Collection
If you enjoyed this post, check our Disney Recipe Page for several more tasty dishes!