Disney World Recipe: Kona Cafe’s Tonga Toast
Undoubtedly one of the most popular items to be found in a Disney World Resort, the Tonga Toast served at the Polynesian Village’s Kona Cafe makes for a truly satisfying breakfast. The carb overload from this sweet morning treat is enough to send you back to your hotel room for a nap! Watch the instructional video at the bottom of the post then make a batch at home. Your taste buds will love you for it.
Kona Cafe Tonga Toast
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
Tonga Toast Ingredients:
1 quart canola oil, for frying
1 loaf sourdough bread (uncut, 12 inches long)
2 large bananas, peeled
1. Mix sugar and cinnamon in medium bowl (large enough to roll toast) with a fork until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
1. Whip eggs in medium bowl (large enough to dip toast) until well beaten. Add milk, cinnamon, and sugar. Mix well and set aside.
Tonga Toast Preparation:
1. Preheat oil to 350 degrees F in a large pot or a deep fryer. (If using a large pot, use a candy thermometer to make certain the oil does not get any hotter or it will burn.)
2. Slice the bread into four three-inch-thick slices.
3. Cut each banana in half crosswise, then each piece lengthwise.
4. Place a bread slice flat on the counter and tear out just enough from the middle (do not tear all the way through) to stuff half a banana into; repeat with each bread slice.
5. Dip stuffed bread into batter, covering both sides, allowing excess batter to drip off bread and place carefully into hot oil.
6. Cook 4-5 minutes until golden brown. If needed, turn toast over after 2 minutes and cook for another 2 minutes on other side. Remove and drain excess oil.
7. Roll toast in cinnamon-sugar. Repeat for each piece of toast.
Disney Recipe Collection
If you enjoyed this post, check our Disney Recipe Page for several more tasty dishes!